Tuesday 19 April 2011

Next stop on the XML express is RDF station. Toot toot.

(I'm on my way to meet my new friend, SPARQL)
The Semantic Web is not a very fast growing technology.
One of the reasons for that is the learning curve. RDF was developed by people with academic background in logic and artificial intelligence. For traditional developers it is not very easy to understand.
That's from the first page of W3School's semantic Web tutorial. My knowledge of the semantic Web goes a little beyond what that page covers, but I was brushing up on my XML there anyway, so...

Note: W3Schools is notorious for inaccuracies—you've been warned.

...but in this case,
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<words type="famous last">I deemed it adequate to brush up on a pretty simple markup language.</words>

Now I'm not a traditional developer. In fact, I'm not really a developer at all. I'm great with well formed HTML and CSS, and I know obviously bad php scripting when I see it, but I couldn't OOP my way out of a wet paper bag with a machete. It would probably take me 3 hours just to connect to one of my databases and perform the simplest queries. So that passage from W3Schools seems a little bit ominous.

Ah, what the hell. I think I know the XML "train system" well enough to get to RDF "station". Ah, wait, here we are. I'm getting off, I heard there's lots to do at this stop.

On to RDF!

No comments:

Post a Comment